Is your time at school coming to an end this year? Are you thinking about your next steps and applying at Hull College? Whatever you want to study, we are here to support you and help you to unleash your potential.
Choosing to continue your education with us is about more than just gaining a qualification - it’s the perfect opportunity to prepare yourself for your chosen career. That's why we've put together a list of key reasons to help you decide why Hull College is the perfect choice for you and your future.
- Careers, Not Courses We are at the forefront of vocational education for school leavers in the city and offer a platform for you to achieve your goals. We have one focus - to create careers, not courses. We pride ourselves on this approach, ensuring you leave us with the skills, knowledge and experience needed to begin a career in the industry of your choice, while being confident and ready to meet the demands of learning, work and everyday life.
- Hands-On Learning Experience Do you learn better by working with your hands? Do you retain information better by ‘doing’ rather than ‘listening’? If so, studying one of our vocational study programmes could well be the perfect option for you! All of our courses are progression-focused, employer-led and skills-based - meaning you’ll get hands-on and learn the practical skills you need as well as the theory. In a nutshell - you will have the skills and credentials employers are looking for following the completion of your course.
- Industry-Leading Specialist Facilities Master your trade in our state-of-the-art facilities - including engineering and construction workshops, beauty therapy and hairdressing salons, kitchens, dance studios, and media suites! This means our training is delivered in industry-standard learning environments and you get to learn your trade on the same equipment that you would be using in your job, ensuring you are fully prepared for work in your chosen profession once your time at college comes to an end.
- City Centre Location Our main campus - located in the heart of Hull’s historic old town next to Queens Gardens - is easily accessible by means of public transport and we’re just a short walk away from Paragon Station, along with Princes Quay and St Stephen's Shopping Centres. There is also parking facilities available on-site and many more available nearby.
- Taught By Experts Our dedicated course tutors are experts in their fields, with extensive knowledge and industry experience, and can therefore equip learners with the necessary skills potential future employers are looking for. Not only do they have all the knowledge you will need to get through your course, they are also engaging, helpful, and willing to go the extra mile to help you succeed.
- A Starting Point For Everyone Our wide range of vocational study programmes offers a starting point for everyone, whatever your circumstances. If you achieve five GCSEs - including English and maths - you can usually start with us on a Level 3 (equivalent to A-Levels) course. However, if you don’t have these qualifications or equivalents, there is still the opportunity to study a course at Level 1 or 2, also improving your English and maths skills along the way.
- Clear Progression Routes Whatever subject you're studying, vocational learning can prepare you for the next step to Higher Education, an apprenticeship or even your very first job. In some cases, they can even give you a head start! And the statistics back us up with 93% of our learners progressing to employment, apprenticeships, further training or university after completing courses with us.
- Student Support We are passionate about providing dedicated and bespoke support services to help you make the most of your time here and to maximise your potential. We genuinely care about your well-being and your future. Our aim is to support you - whatever your age or background - on the journey to securing your dream job, with all learners entitled to high quality and independent guidance from our team of dedicated and fully qualified impartial careers advisors.
- Specialist Employer Links We have built excellent relationships with a wide range of local and national employers and organisations to provide our learners with specialist work experience/placement opportunities and a variety of CV-boosting activities across the city. This allows you to gain essential skills and knowledge that helps job applications and CVs stand out, while also setting you up for whatever comes next after college.
- Be Independent At Hull College, you’ll find that you are treated as an adult and are given a lot more freedom than when you were at school. With independence comes more responsibility, though. You will be responsible for your own success by attending and arriving punctually at the college. That means you’ll have to organise your own time, behave like an adult and be expected to take every lesson seriously. It's all for your benefit though, as it will only help you to succeed and get where you want to be in the future.
- Meet New Friends and Faces All learners become part of a community at Hull College. There is every opportunity to study and learn, but there is also the opportunity to enjoy college life and meet new people. Starting somewhere new can be scary, but it’s important to remember that everyone is in the same boat at the start of a new academic year. This is a great opportunity to meet new people and most importantly make new life-long friends. Getting involved in events and the Students’ Union will introduce you to friends from different backgrounds and walks of life and build your confidence socially.
- Our Learners Love The Hull College Experience Don’t just take our word for it. Read what some of our current learners have had to say about their experiences with us so far this year…
Name: Tommy Smith Course: Level 3 Digital Media Production
“I knew the college was the right place for me after I attended an open event - I loved the set-up and atmosphere straight away, along with the facilities and equipment on offer. I am able to express myself and I feel comfortable in the environment I’m learning in. I love the knowledge I’m gaining with every session.”
Name: Bethany Allen Course: Level 2 Make-Up Artistry
“Everything has been great since the start of the year - I’ve learnt so much already! It’s a practical course and very hands-on, which makes the learning experience much easier and much better. On top of that, the facilities and equipment available for students to utilise at the College are second to none.”
Name: Matthew Clarke Course: Level 2 Culinary Arts
“I received a lot of recommendations from other people about the course and the College itself. And so far, life here has lived up to those recommendations. I’ve only been here a few weeks, but I’ve already gained loads of new skills and can’t wait to learn even more!”
Name: Joseph Jackson Course: Level 1 Engineering
“The college has a great community feel about the place. It’s a great learning environment to be in and you really do get the right amount of support needed to help make your time here both worthwhile and successful.”
Starting Your Hull College Journey Check out our handy ‘How To Apply’ guide for everything you need to know about securing your place at Hull College. Applications for all courses starting in September remain open and remember, we guarantee your place with us whatever your GCSE results! Spaces are filling up fast though, so what are you waiting for? Click here to apply today!