Skip to main content

Humberside Police Cyber Security Team Update

During this unprecedented time, it is important for young people and families to stay safe online while working and studying from home.

Humberside Police will be updating their Twitter and Facebook page twice a day with info on staying safe online.

Please find below some useful links about how to stay safe online:

Useful Videos:-

How to stay safe online

BT Parent guide to on-line safety -

NSPCC on-line safety -

DfE – Resources about hate and extremism for teachers and parents -

UK Safer Internet Centre -

Let's talk about it (preventing terrorism) -

Response to COVID-19

There have been significant changes within our college settings and within the UK in response to the outbreak of COVID-19. This annex sets out some of the adjustments Hull College Group is making in line with the changed arrangements in the college and following advice from Government. The current position is that, following the Government announcement, all Hull College sites are closed and timetables have been postponed, and moved to on–line learning via our Canvas platform.

Despite the changes, the College’s Safeguarding Policy and Guidance is fundamentally the same: the safety and welfare of children, young people, and adults at risk always comes first, staff will continue to respond robustly to safeguarding concerns and referrals will continue to be made in line with our established safeguarding procedure.

The pressures on children, young people, and adults and their families at this time are significant. There will be heightened awareness of family pressures for a variety of reasons including through having to stay within the household, through financial hardship, or health and well-being anxieties. These areas should be considered in terms of setting any work for learners to undertake at home (including recognising the impact of online learning and the ability to access on line resources). Staff may be aware of the mental health and well-being of both learners and their parents or carers, and should refer to our safeguarding reporting procedures via Promonitor about any emerging concerns or worries.

Hull College has undertaken a scoping exercise to identify the most vulnerable learners and individual arrangements have been made with learners who are subject to Child Protection plans, Child in Need plans, Children Looked After (CLA), young carers, SEND and those with an EHCP. Additionally the college had identified learners where there are concerns about their safety and well-being, for example mental health, domestic abuse and violence, and drug and alcohol issues, including where partnership agencies may be already be involved.

For learners subject to a Child Protection Plan and Child In Need Plan, and who have an allocated social worker: contact will be made by Student Support Officers (who are also Designated Safeguarding Officers) a minimum twice weekly with these learners. If families request alternative arrangements, this will be discussed and agreed with the allocated social worker.

For Learners who are Children Looked After (CLA) contact will be made by Student Support Officers (who are also Designated Safeguarding Officers) who will call daily, weekly or twice weekly as agreed with the learner, carer and social worker.

For students with an EHCP and/ or high needs learners: SEND Team Leaders (who are also Designated Safeguarding Officers) will maintain regular contact as agreed with learners and parents/carers. Support can be delivered through individual arrangements based on curriculum activity and needs.

For learners on the edge of social care involvement, prior social care involvement, or identified as potentially at risk with safeguarding concerns regular contact will be made by either Student Support Officers, Youth Workers, SEND Team Leaders (who are all Designated Safeguarding Officers) a minimum once per week for a safety and welfare check, and to ensure the necessary level of support is being offered.

Hull College Group recognises that the health, welfare and social care needs of our learners can change, sometimes quickly, particularly in the current extremely challenging circumstances of Covid 19, social distancing potentially leading to increased social isolation, and remote learning and working for staff. As a college adapting to working remotely we are able to respond to changing needs and assess appropriate signposting and referral to key local health and social care agencies, and working closely with these agencies provide interventions that will continue to support learners and keep them safe.

NB: Contact will be made to learners remotely through telephone calls/text messaging, Promonitor, Canvass or other appropriate methods.

Reporting arrangements:

The college arrangements for reporting and updating safeguarding concerns continue in line with our Safeguarding policy and guidance. All safeguarding concerns and updates to casework should be recorded using the Promonitor safeguarding tab

The Senior Leadership Team Designated Safeguarding Lead is: Liz Winn –

The Designated Safeguarding Lead is Zailie Barratt –

The Deputy Designated Safeguarding Lead is David Greenway –

Hull College Group also has Designated Safeguarding Officers in all of its curriculum areas who are the first point of contact for raising or managing safeguarding concerns:

14-16 College

Alex Reveley. Mobile 07801 986670

Assistant Director of Curriculum


HCUK Training

Trevor Spencer. Mobile

Mentor Support


Business and Professional Economy

Aaron Tyson. Mobile: 07983021022

Student Support Officer


Tracy Mathers. Mobile: 07824482499

Student Support Officer


Construction, Engineering & Built Environment

David Bennett. Mob: 07903350844

Student Support Officer

Garry Hadley. Mobile: 07525796968

Student Support Officer


Julie Grantham. Mobile: 07973901168

Student Support Officer


Creative Arts

Julie Windmill. Mobile: 07947721924

Student Support Officer


Michelle Longman. Mobile: 07958124166

Student Support Officer


Health, Public Service, Care & Access

Susan March. Mobile: 07944271206

Student Support Officer


Hayley Singleton. Mobile: 07950609558

Student Support Officer


Andrew McCartney. Mobile: 07944242280

(including Goole College)

Student Support Officer


Youth Workers

Tom Andrews. Mobile: 07535638294


Kingsley Henderson. Mobile 07932603465


Additional Learner Support Team

Laura Wiles. Mobile: 07904607608


Margaret Gregory. Mobile: 07983594840


Paul Sumpter. Mobile: 07525 796972


Maria Hanson. Mobile: 07983352362


Carrie Leah. Mobile: 07904979160


Jacqueline Thompson. Mobile (Goole)


Higher Education

Faculty of Arts & Management, Health & Technology

Suzannah Miller. Mobile: 07538113396

HE Student Engagement Officer


Sadie Bainton. Mobile: 07944 271172

HE Student Engagement Officer


Hull College will be operating during normal business hours, 8.30am – 5pm (Mon – Thurs) and 8.30am – 4.30pm (Friday).

All staff will continue to follow our safeguarding procedures and advise the Designated Safeguarding Officers immediately about concerns they have about any child, young person, or adult at risk whether in college or not. COVID-19 means a need for increased vigilance due to the pressures on external statutory and emergency services, families and young people, rather than a reduction in our quality of service and standards. Designated Safeguarding Officers will seek further guidance and support when required from:

Designated Safeguarding Lead Zailie Barratt – – Mobile: 07525796972/07411110080

Deputy Designated Safeguarding Lead David Greenway – – Mobile: 07538113395

All staff who have access to ProMonitor please continue to log confidential comments as you normally would on the safeguarding tab. If you do not have access to ProMonitor to log confidential comments please email concerns to the Designated Safeguarding Officer for your curriculum area. Please ensure you copy in David Greenway (contact above) to ensure appropriate assessment and interventions are undertaken.

Normal safeguarding procedures apply for referrals to children’s social care in Hull and East Riding which will be via the Early Help and Safeguarding Hubs (EHaSH). This contact and referral will go through the relevant Designated Safeguarding Officer from the curriculum area with support from the Designated and Deputy Designated Safeguarding Leads (contacts above). Emergency out of hours guidance and support for Hull and East Riding are as follows:


Children & Families. EHaSH 01482 448 879 during normal office hours

Adults at Risk via Multi Agency Safeguarding Hub Tel 01482 616092

After 5pm Emergency Duty Team on 01482 300 304 out of normal office hours

East Riding

Children & Families. Via EHaSH 01482 395500

Adults at Risk Telephone: (01482) 396940

After 5pm Emergency Duty Team on 01377 241273 out of normal office hours.

Should a child, young person, or adult be at risk of immediate significant harm, the college will immediately contact the police on 999 for advice to safeguard and protect a vulnerable learner. This is in line with local safeguarding protocols in Hull and East Riding of Yorkshire

Allegations or concerns about staff working with children and young people

As per the statutory guidance ‘Working Together to Safeguard Children (2018) any concerns about the behaviour or conduct of staff towards learners should be reported immediately to: Barbara Jones, Interim Vice Principal Human Resources;, Mobile: 07722 570 938

Hull College has confirmed the arrangements to contact the LADO at the Hull Local Authority remain unchanged:, East Riding of Yorkshire email: The main contact here will be Barbara Jones, contacts as above.

On-Line Safeguarding Risks

Young people will be using the internet more during this challenging period to stay connected and in contact with family, friends and college staff. On-line safety and risks could well be heightened during this difficult period. Hull College is also using online approaches to deliver training and support. Staff will be aware of the signs and signals of cyberbullying, child sexual exploitation and other risks online and apply the same child-centred safeguarding practices as when learners are learning at the College. The College continues to ensure appropriate filters and monitors are in place via our IT Department.

It is extremely important that professional boundaries do not slip during this exceptional period. Please speak to your line manger if you have any concerns or questions.

With such different arrangements in place, young people could be at greater risk of on line abuse. We remind all staff to maintain the view that ‘it could happen here’ and to immediately report any concern, no matter how small, to their relevant Designated Safeguarding Officer. Learners accessing remote learning will continue to receive guidance on keeping safe online and know how to raise concerns with their tutor, Student Support Officer, Additional Learner Support Team Leader, or Youth Worker.

Peer on peer abuse

We recognise the potential for abuse to go on between young people, especially in the context of a college closure. All staff will remain vigilant to the signs of peer-on-peer abuse, including those between young people who are not currently attending our provision, and report any concern, no matter how small, to their relevant Designated Safeguarding Officer.

Keeping Children Safe in Education

Keeping Children Safe in Education (September 2019) continues to be the key statutory guidance, schools and college’s must follow, however understandably we have made additional safeguarding arrangements in regard to such exceptional circumstances.

The link to Keeping Children Safe in Education, Part 1 can be found below and contains relevant information about safeguarding risks all college staff need to be aware of whether in our outside college. Staff are advised to re-familiarise themselves with this guidance and seek guidance from a Designated Safeguarding Officer if they are unclear about anything.

Mental Health

Restrictions to movement and contact with other people may mean many learners are more likely to be at risk of mental health and emotional problems. Hull College has made learners, their families, and staff aware via our website of where further support, guidance and advice can be found in Hull and East Riding of Yorkshire. The link below is to our website where relevant local partner agencies can be found:

The Department for Education has also produced guidance to support parents and carers:


The College recognises that it has a legal and moral duty to safeguard and promote the welfare of our students. When you start with us we want your time here to be an enjoyable, rewarding, fun, and safe experience. Safeguarding you is very important to us; we want you to feel safe and to be safe. You are our number 1 priority and we take your safety and well-being very seriously.

If for any reason you feel unsafe, because of something that is happening to you in college, or outside college then please speak to your tutor or student coach who will support and advise you. If for any reason your tutor or student coach is unavailable then you can speak to any member of staff or request to see the duty manager at any of our main campus reception desks.

When you enrol with us you will be provided with information that tells you what to do if you are concerned about something or feel unsafe. This includes emergency contact details for a range of local services for when you are not in college, and feel unsafe. There is a Safeguarding Team, who are available to talk to if students have any concerns, are unhappy, or even if they are worried about the welfare of a friend or fellow student. Students can talk to one of the team about such things as bullying, accommodation problems, abuse (in any of its forms), self-harm, drug or alcohol issues, domestic violence, or whatever may be a concern.

Looked after child and care leaver information

Hull College works collaboratively with the Local Authority to ensure appropriate arrangements for monitoring and supporting the progress of looked after children and care leavers in line with their age and development are in place, and as they progress through further and higher education. Our aim is to:

  • Assist and support young people to apply to the appropriate course at college.
  • To help young people maximise their potential.
  • Facilitate staff in the college and social care settings to work effectively with care leavers in line with the Children Act 1989 Guidance and Regulations Volume 3: Planning Transition to Adulthood for Care Leavers (2010)
  • This collaboration with the Local Authority covers:
  • Careers guidance, applications to college, and support at interviews
  • Information sharing
  • Practical and financial support to care leavers
  • Specific support to care leavers to maintain college places, for example our designated LAC Mentoring Service
  • Moving on from college
  • How to resolve issues and problems

Working collaboratively with the Local Authority enables early identification through pathway planning and (e)Peps. Prior to enrolment the designated person for LAC meets with the Lac coordinators and social workers to identify any specific support needs and any potential barriers to learning. Information is then appropriately shared with the members of the curriculum area directly involved with supporting that student. We regularly facilitate PEPS and E-Peps and our ultimate aim is to be a single point of access to promote continuity and a consistent support network.

Financial Support to Care Leavers

Young people leaving care are entitled to the equivalent of Income Support Benefit (paid by the Local Authority). He/she will also receive a weekly enhancement. Costs of accommodation until the age of 18 is also paid by Through Care Teams where after housing benefit can be accessed.

For young people who are part way through their course when they reach 18 and where this is part of their Pathway Plan, an application can be made for them to continue to live with their foster carer/host. In some cases, where young people reach the age of 20 they may not be eligible for certain state benefits, but are still actively engaged in education – in such cases, further financial assistance can be offered to meet accommodation and living costs.

Once it is known that the young person has a place on a course then there must be a discussion between the young person, foster carer or social worker and the college as to what exactly is required and how this can be appropriately sourced. Young people who are leaving care face additional challenges when they start a course at a further educational college and they must not have the additional worry or start the course without the proper equipment. Social workers have access to funding to support LAC/Care Leavers with additional tutoring and learning resources, such as the purchase of laptops and other educational resources.

If you feel unsafe or threatened, tell your tutor, student coach or another member of staff.

During Opening Hours

If for any reason you feel unsafe, because of something that is happening to you in college, or outside college then please speak to your Pastoral and Attendance Lead (PAL) or your tutor.

Also the opening times on the bottom of the page need to change to below:

  • Hull (You can ring Reception on 01482 329943):

Monday – Thursday 8.00am-6pm, Friday 8.30am-4.30pm

  • Goole (You can ring Reception on 01405 762420):

Monday – Thursday 8.30am-5pm, Friday 8.30am-4.30pm

Out of Hours Contacts

Concerns about your personal safety

Police call 999 (emergency) or 101 (non-emergency)

Concerns about your health and well-being

Out of hours Drs and Hospitals call 111

Out of hours services (For children and adults)

  • (Hull) Emergency Duty Team on 01482 300 304
  • (Goole) Emergency Duty Team on 01377 241273

Internet Saftey3

The NCA's CEOP Command is here to help children and young people. We are here to help if you are a young person and you or your friend (up to age 18) has been forced or tricked into taking part in sexual activity with anyone online, or in the real world. We also have advice and links to support for other online problems young people might face, such as cyberbullying and hacking.