2nd April 2020
Hull College Higher Education has made available a hardship grant for students currently studying a higher education programme with us for the academic year 2019-20.
This new one-off grant is aimed to help our students through his very challenging time and the hardship the current pandemic is delivering. We have tried to make the application for this grant as simple as possible and applications for this one off payment can be made to;
Grants are capped as one-off payments of up to £400 for those with dependants and up to £200 for those without dependants. As part of the application process, you will be required to supply all of the required information as indicated below, this evidence must be submitted digitally to the student finance email above along with the amount you wish to apply for. In order to ensure we can ensure fair allocation of funds, we will require applications to be supported by evidence which will include:
1. Last 4 weeks up to date bank statements for all bank accounts you and your partner (if applicable) hold.
2. Confirmation of job loss/reduction in hours.
3. Amount you wish to apply for.
4. Account name, bank account number and sort code
Please note: Only those students who have suffered a downturn of income through a job loss or job reduction because of Covid-19 should apply.
We have tried to make this as fair and transparent a process as possible, in line with our policies and procedures. Students should also be aware that this grant is available for short term support only, and awards will be allocated on a case by case basis. The fund is limited and should not be viewed as a form of funding to replace long-term loss of income, or a means to meet all additional un-associated costs. We will wherever possible seek to support students who are facing unexpected hardship and if we feel that there are other options available we will advise individually on this.
Please note there is no guarantee of a grant being offered and assessments are based purely on the financial hardship incurred by the Covid-19 virus. Applications may take up to 7 working days to assess, however we are working hard to assess applications as quickly as possible. Payment will be made within 7 days of an award being agreed.
Each application submitted will be based on a case by case basis. It will be expected that you have sourced all other forms of financial support and explored ways of increasing your income and reducing your expenditure during this time. You can do this by:
· Contacting your mortgage provider and applying for a mortgage holiday
· Contact Student Loans Company to request your final loan instalment to be brought forward. You will be required to complete a Financial Hardship Confirmation form
· Spoken to your landlord to discuss non-payment of rent.
· If you are a final year student (except those on a 52 week programme) we advise that you Contact Student Loans Company to request your final loan instalment to be brought forward. You will be directed to complete Financial Hardship Confirmation form.
· Here is the contact details for the Hull City Council Coronavirus Vulnerable residents helpline; 01482 300307