The BA (Hons) YCLD top up will offer a level 6 progression route from a relevant Foundation Degree (FD) and is designed to support students in work-based practice within the Early Years with a focus on 0-8 year olds. Current students are from a range of vocational backgrounds including home-based care, children’s centres, pre-schools, private day care, family support, play work and schools indicating the diversity of the programme.
The curriculum will work alongside a variety of children’s services to provide relevance, breadth and depth to the qualification. The key features of the programme include: Developing graduates who have an understanding of a complex body of knowledge, some of it at the current boundaries of the academic discipline to contribute to the enhancement of children’s learning and development.
Creating graduates who are leaders of change and use analytical techniques and problem solving within their employment that will enhance the quality of setting.
The programme is structured to support students already in practice and the majority of entrants to the programme are experienced practitioners in early years learning and development. For those applicants who are not yet in practice or are taking a career break there is a requirement for access to a suitable work setting for a minimum of 10 hours per week in an unpaid capacity.
· Promoting Wellbeing (20 credits)
· Professional Dimensions in the Early Years (20 credits)
· Quality Provision in the Early Years Environment (20 credits)
· Contemporary Approaches to Learning and Development (20 credits)
· Dissertation (40 credits)
Validating Partner: This programme is currently validated by the University of Hull
Upon completion of this BA (Hons) Young children Learning and Development students may wish to progress onto higher level study or pursue a career in any of the following areas:
· Early Years Teacher/ Qualified Teacher (subject to professional qualification)
· Early Years consultant Children’s Centre Manager
· Early Years Practitioner
· Early years development worker
· Day Nursery Manager
· Out-of-School Manager Pre-School Manager Family support officer/ coordinator